Quality Care Close To Home
Welcome to the St. Joseph Mercy Oakland Heart Institute
Ranked among the Top 50 heart hospitals across the nation*, the physicians, nurses and patient caregivers at St. Joseph Mercy Oakland’s Heart Institute continue to lead the battle against heart disease. As one of the most prominent and well-respected heart programs in the nation, the Heart Institute at SJMO is setting new standards for heart care everyday.
St. Joseph Mercy Oakland was recently named one of the nations’s Top 50 Cardiovascular Hospitals by Thomson Reuters for the 8th consecutive year. For 2011, they chose a more elite group of winners and narrowed their selection to 50 winners from the previous Top 100 hospitals.
The study is conducted annually and examined the performance of 1,022 hospitals by analyzing outcomes for patients with heart failure and heart attacks and for those who received coronary bypass surgery and percutaneous coronary interventions such as angioplasties.
This means that St. Joseph Mercy Oakland is recognized for delivering higher survival rates, shorter hospital stays, fewer readmissions and lower costs. The study shows that 96 percent of cardiovascular inpatients survive and about 93 percent remain complication-free, indicative of improved cardiovascular care across-the-board over the past decade.
The 50 top hospitals’ performance surpasses these high marks as indicated by
- Better risk-adjusted survival rates (33 percent fewer deaths than non-winning hospitals for bypass surgery)
- Lower complication rates (21 percent lower for heart failure complications)
- Fewer patients readmitted to the hospital in the 30 days following discharge
- Shorter hospital visits and lower costs. Top hospitals discharge heart patients a
half-day sooner and spend less per case than non-winners.
St. Joseph Mercy Oakland is also a Blue Distinction for Cardiac Care™
Designation as a Blue Distinction Center® means the St. Joseph Mercy Oakland Heart Institute meets objective criteria established in collaboration with expert clinicians’ and leading professional organizations’ recommendations.
The selection criteria used for health care organizations receiving this designation were developed with input from a panel of expert physicians. To be designated as a Blue Distinction Center for Cardiac Care, the following types of criteria were evaluated.
- Established acute care inpatient facility, including intensive care, emergency care, and a full range of patient support services with full accreditation by a CMS-deemed national accreditation organization
- Experience and training of program surgeons, including case volume
- Quality management programs, including surgical checklists as well as tracking and evaluation of clinical outcomes and process of care
- Multi-disciplinary clinical pathways and teams to coordinate and streamline care, including transitions of care
- Share decisions-making and preoperative patient education.
*Source: Based on Thomson Reuters 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals