St. Joseph Mercy Oakland has certified lymphedema therapists (CLT) who specialize in the treatment for lymphedema. SJMO offers this service at our Union Lake and our Main campus outpatient clinics.
What is lymphedema?
- Lymphedema is a swelling of the arm or leg due to a build up of protein rich lymph fluid in the tissue spaces.
- Lymphedema can lead to a decrease or loss of function of the limb, skin breakdown and chronic infection
The most effective treatment is a comprehensive, research-based approach tailored to each individual’s specific needs. A typical treatment program at SJMO may include the following:
- Manual lymph node drainage
- Compression bandaging
- Therapeutic exercises
- Compression garments
- Patient education
Conditions and diagnoses associated with lymphedema:
- Abdominal cancer surgery
- Breast Cancer surgery
- Chronic Venous Insufficiency Stage II and Stage III
- Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call White Lake Rehab at 248-758-7790 or SJMO Main Campus at 248-758-7720