Why choose St. Joseph Mercy Oakland for your mammogram and breast health services?
Not all mammography centers are equal. Although it may be convenient to go to the center closest to home or near your doctor's office, it makes sense to make your decision on where to have a mammogram based on facility quality and available services. Breast care experts at St. Joseph Mercy Oakland recommend that patients choose their mammography center based on quality and the full continuum or resources and services offered to meet their needs.
St. Joe was one of the first mammography centers in the state to be recognized as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology (ACR) and achieve National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC) status from the American College of Surgeons. Those quality designations bring our patients expert care close to home.
And St. Joe is the only Oakland County facility to offer MammoPlus®, RiskPlus™, RapidResults® and DiagnosticPlus™, components of its Comprehensive Breast Center (CBC) that set its program apart from other mammography centers. MammoPlus® services are offered at all three St. Joe mammography locations in Pontiac, Lake Orion and West Bloomfield.
Distinguishing Comprehensive Breast Center Services
Only St. Joe offers the following Comprehensive Breast Center (CBC) services in Oakland County:
MammoPlus® provides a digital screening mammogram, PLUS a lifetime risk assessment for breast cancer. Each patient is offered the National Cancer Institute's (NCI) Breast Cancer Risk Assessment as part of their standard mammography. This tool help gather information and assists in determining if a patient may be at increased risk of developing breast cancer.
There is no additional charge for MammoPlus®. It is simply the St. Joe version of the best mammogram service available. Traditional mammography services are still available if preferred.
Under MammoPlus®, at the time of her mammogram each patient is asked a series of personal health and breast history questions based on the nationally recognized NCI breast assessment tool. If a patient’s assessment score shows an increased risk of developing breast cancer, her ordering physician is notified. St. Joe’s certified genetic counselor calls the patient (upon request) to discuss her score and schedule a more detailed RiskPlus™ assessment.
For more information see MammoPlus® FAQs for Patients.
RiskPlus™ is the follow-up program to MammoPlus®. It is a prevention and monitoring program for women who are noted to be at increased risk of breast cancer on their MammoPlus® risk evaluation. Patients can be referred from their doctor for in-depth analysis and management of their risk profile or they can call directly to request an analysis of their risk, based on family history, disease history or simply heighted concern.
A certified genetic counselor and an advanced practice oncology nurse practitioner manage St. Joe’s RiskPlus™ program. They determine risk and design a customized cancer prevention plan, which may include annual breast monitoring and imaging, clinical exams, specialized breast imaging, genetic testing, risk reduction techniques and other options.
For more information see RiskPlus™ FAQs for Patients.
Finding a breast lump can be an alarming experience, that's why prompt evaluation of any breast concern is critical. If a lump is discovered, St. Joe offers RapidResults®--another CBC component that offers same day access to appropriate breast diagnostic services—all the way through biopsy, if needed, followed by next day lab results. No other facility in the county provides turnaround results as fast.
For more information see RapidResults® FAQs for Patients.
DiagnosticPlus™ is a diagnostic mammogram PLUS a clinical breast exam performed by a nurse who has had specialty training and is certified in Clinical Breast Exam from MammaCare®, a National Cancer Institute (NCI)-recognized breast examinational methodology.
A female surgeon is medical director of St. Joe's Breast Services program. A dedicated radiologist reads all mammograms and makes determinations for follow up diagnostic tests.
St. Joe offers the services of nurse navigators to assist women through the diagnostic process, and, if breast cancer is diagnosed, through their breast cancer treatment journeys
Being asked to return for diagnostic tests after a routine screening mammogram can be frightening and raise anxiety in both the patient and her loved ones and friends. St. Joe has three nurses in its Breast Imaging Center who:
- Serve as the patient's first contact, making calls to patients to come back for diagnostic tests
- Serve as a vital resource for the patient's physician's office
- Support each patient through the entire diagnostic Radiology process, explaining various diagnostic procedures, performing intake, educating them on why they must return for more diagnostic tests and teaching them about the procedures
- Perform Clinical Breast Exams as part of DiagnosticPlus™
- Are present when the patientundergoes a biopsy or other diagnostic procedure
- Provide emotional support and build a relationship with each patient
St. Joe's is the only local hospital that makes nurses available in the mammography area to educate and support patients.
If Breast Cancer is diagnosed, St. Joe has a breast cancer nurse navigator who serves as a personal advocate for breast cancer patients and assists both patients and their family members with various resource needs through their cancer treatment journey. The nurse navigator's responsibilities include:
- Providing emotional support throughout each patient's cancer treatment journey
- Helping to coordinate care, including appointments
- Providing education about both diagnosis and treatment and how to handle side effects of treatment
- Providing information so that patients can make informed decisions about their care
- Furnishing both hospital and community resources
- Supporting physicians and their office staff members in the comprehensive care of breast cancer patients, including consultation regarding resources and services
- Facilitating community outreach efforts
- Organizing the Breast Cancer Support Group and the Look Good…Feel Better Support Group in cooperation with the American Cancer Society
Our Mammography Facilities
St. Joe offers our MammoPlus® at our three mammography centers:
St. Joseph Mercy Oakland
Alice Gustafson Center
44405 Woodward Avenue
Bald Mountain Medical Building
1375 S. Lapeer Road
SJMO Diagnostic Center – West Bloomfield
2300 Haggerty Road, Suite 1050
Our diagnostic services include:
- Digital mammography
- Ultrasound-guided core biopsy
- Stereotactic core biopsy, a non-surgical method for detecting breast cancer that uses a special computer to guide a needle to abnormality seen on mammography to extract a small amount of the tissue for diagnosis
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
To make an appointment at any of St. Joe's mammography centers, call 248-858-3777, or log on to stjoesoakland.org and select Schedule a Test in the Find it Fast box on the home page. A written physician's order is required.
For more information about St. Joe's Comprehensive Breast Center, including MammoPlus®, RiskPlus™, RapidResults® and DiagnosticPlus™, call 248-858-3780.