The Metabolic Nutrition & Weight Management Program (MNWM) teaches individuals how to manage metabolic issues including; type 2 diabetes, obesity, cholesterol, and blood pressure by incorporating nutritional information, physical activity and lifestyle changes into their weight management objectives
The MNWM program’s goal is optimal health, wellness and improving individual quality of life.
The program includes:
- Physician visits with Dr. Tom Rifai
- Individual nutritional plan, physician –led.
- Nutritional classes
- Support classes, physician-led
- Nutritional counseling by Registered Dietitian.
- Motivational support.
- Variety of Medical Formula Foods available
The Metabolic Nutrition & Weight Management Program is located in the Medical Office Building at St. Joseph Mercy Oakland, 44555 Woodward Ave. Suite 305.
For more information or to register to attend a FREE seminar call us at (248) 858-2475.
SENIOR FIT: A Fitness Program for Senior Adults
SENIOR FIT is a free exercise program that combines health benefits and social interaction. It encourages senior adults to exercise their way to a healthier lifestyle. The program covers body strengthening, guarding against osteoporosis, floor and chair exercises, strength and flexibility training and cardiovascular fitness.
SENIOR FIT includes:
- A certified exercise professional to conduct the sessions
- An SJMO Faith Community Nurse (RN) to monitor blood pressure and offer health goals and health instruction
- Open to adults age 55 and up
- Physician approval required
- First meeting includes registration and a fitness assessment
- Free admission
For more information about SENIOR FIT, please call (248) 858-2545.
SHAPEDOWN: Weight Management for Children and Teens
SHAPEDOWN is a unique weight management program for children and teens ages 6 to 18. Unlike many other youth weight loss programs, SHAPEDOWN involves the family— a major ingredient for success. In SHAPEDOWN, children and teens learn how to eat, not how to diet!
The SHAPEDOWN program includes:
- Free orientation session
- Ten weekly two-hour classes
- Group session of eight to 12 families
- Classes that offer nutritional education, exercise and communication techniques
- A team of health professionals who co-lead each class, including a nutritionist, social worker and exercise physiologist
- Workbooks for children and teens and parent guidebooks
- Two individualized family sessions
- Follow-up resources and referrals available
For more information about SHAPEDOWN, please call (248) 858-2556.