St. Joseph Mercy Oakland (SJMO) is transforming health care in Oakland County and continuing our tradition of excellence through our Campus Regeneration project. Phase One of the project was completed in 2010, with the opening of our Surgical Pavilion. The two-story, 50,000 square-foot Surgical Pavilion has enabled us to combine advanced technology with compassionate care to create a unique healing environment. The Surgical Pavilion also provides an expanded, family-friendly waiting space, as well as several other features and amenities.
- Operating Rooms (ORs) are fully integrated with state-of-the-art video technology. HD images are displayed on multiple monitors within the surgical suites.
- 42-inch plasma screens in all rooms allow surgical team members to monitor procedures and display pertinent patient-critical elements to enhance patient safety measures.
- Multiple monitors allow minimally invasive surgery to be done with state-of-the- art cameras and laparoscopic functions.
- Our robot-assisted da Vinci Surgical System is the latest generation, with high definition images and the surgeon can view in 3-D.
- State-of-the-art instrument washers are fully automated, leading to improved water flow and fast cycle time. Conveyors cue up next load to a shuttle system that loads it for the operator.
- Case cart washer can clean carts after each use and other portable equipment such as stretchers and wheelchairs. ORs designed to adapt to future developments in technology.
- ORs are now almost double the size of the former ORs to house technology advances.
New equipment and placement of equipment in our ORs offer improved ergonomic conditions for surgeons and associates.
- Ceiling-mounted surgical booms keep tools and equipment elevated and cords and cables off the floor, creating a safer environment for patients and staff, adding to flexibility of room use.
- Enhanced, quiet outdoor corridor for patient transport and daylight architecture. All equipment is already in the room, so staff doesn't need to leave the ORs to obtain additional equipment.
- Surgical Pavilion has clean core design, so room assistants are in close proximity.
- Heating and cooling system is energy efficient when rooms are not in use.
- The Surgical Pavilion offers "green" technology. Water saving measures and new heating and cooling technology greatly reduce utility usage compared to the former space.
- LED "cool lights" in the operating rooms provide brilliant white lighting, save energy and produce less heat.
- Efficient cart washers use less soap and water per cycle.
- State-of-the-art heating and cooling/air handling: Operating rooms can be cooled down as fast as they heat up. These are also energy efficient when rooms not in use.
- Central Sterile Processing Department: Automated multiple instrument washers/disinfectors eliminate waste and reduce water, detergent and energy consumption.