There are many kinds of care, but only one kind that's Mercy
St. Joseph Mercy Oakland takes great pride in the many opportunities we have to offer as you build your medical career. Our medical staff has more than 650 physicians in 51 specialties who are partnering with the hospital to support the community health care system. The system extends far beyond the walls of the hospital and into the neighborhoods through local medical centers, clinics, labs, senior living centers, home health care, nursing homes and hospice.
St. Joseph Mercy has been part of the Oakland County community for nearly seven decades. Firmly rooted in the traditions of the Sisters of Mercy, St. Joseph Mercy is an active and respected health care provider in southeast Michigan. Over the years, we have evolved from a community hospital into a greatly expanded health care system, capable of meeting the health needs of all residents, from infants to seniors.
Programs and services
- The Heart Institute offers a comprehensive cardiac care program, at the forefront in the battle against heart disease.
- Our completely remodeled Birthing Center (averaging more than 2,700 births a year) features 12 LDRs, new cesarean section rooms and two rooms equipped for high-risk pregnancies.
- Advanced imaging techniques, such as the Philips INTEGRIS V3000, which has upgraded cardiovascular and interventional radiology services; magnetic resonance imaging (MRI); Color Doppler ultrasound equipment and CT and SPECT scanners.
- A neonatal intensive care level II nursery
- A pediatric emergency department.
- An emergency center and an urgent care center.
Our community health care system provides many special services within the surrounding neighborhoods:
- A subacute unit that provides transitional care.
- Mercy Bellbrook retirement community.
- Other long-term care facilities available to meet the needs of the elderly.
- Cranbrook Hospice.
Oakland County-a thriving community
Located north of Detroit, Oakland County is part of the nation's seventh largest metropolitan area. Oakland County is home to 39 cities and 14 townships. The city of Pontiac is the county seat with a population of 71,000.
Oakland County has experienced phenomenal investment in recent years, including Chrysler Corporation's $800 million technology center and the Oakland Technology Park. More than 200 Fortune 500 companies are represented in the county. Yet, the cost of living remains remarkably affordable.
Oakland County residents enjoy one of the highest standards of living in the United States. Per capita income is ranked third among U.S. counties with more than 1 million population, averaging more than 40 percent higher than the state and nation.
Excellent schools, affordable housing, employment opportunities and an abundance of cultural and recreational activities moving to Oakland County the best decision you can make.