Home of Michigan's first Certified Primary Stroke Center
St. Joseph Mercy Oakland is the home of Michigan's first Certified Primary Stroke Center, as designated by The Joint Commission and the American Stroke Association.
Through the recruitment of outstanding physicians and staff, acquisition of sophisticated equipment and the development of new programs, neuroscience care at St. Joseph Mercy Oakland has grown into a nationally recognized comprehensive stroke center.
Yet while our stroke care is unmatched in the region, SJMO also offers outstanding programs in other areas of neuroscience, such as:
- Carotid stenting, which improves blood flow to the brain by insertion of a stent into the carotid artery.
- A higher level of neurological assessment; including an 11-level stroke assessment tool developed by the National Association of Health.
- The SJMO Neurorehabilitation program including high levels of speech therapy, occupational therapy and physical therapy.
At SJMO, our neuroscience unit treats the following conditions:
- Alzheimer's disease and dementia.
- Aphasia (loss of speech).
- Balance disorders.
- Brain injury.
- Brain tumors.
- Cerebrovascular diseases.
- Cognitive disorders.
- Movement disorders such as epilepsy, Huntington's disease, Parkinson's disease, and tremors.
- Multiple sclerosis.
- Neurodegenerative disease.
- Neuromuscular disorders such as Muscular Dystrophy, myopathy, and neuropathy.
- Pituitary and acoustic tumors.
- Sleep disorders.
- Spine/back disorders.
- Stroke (brain attack).
- Other hospice services.
St. Joseph Mercy Oakland also offers the following services:
- Carotid stenting.
- Interventional neuroradiology.
- Neurosurgery, including kyphoplasty and vertebroplasty for degenerative disc disease and pathological spine fractures.
As baby boomers age and their health needs become more intense and complex, it is imperative that hospitals like St. Joseph Mercy Oakland provide the exacting standards, protocols, services and procedures necessary to prevent damage to the brain and aggressively remain on the leading edge of such essential care.