Hormonal health requires the right balance
Endocrinology is the study of the many hormone-producing glands that facilitate body functions such as metabolism, growth development, and sexual and reproductive development. The amount of hormones that glands such as the pituitary gland, the thyroid gland, and other glands produce must be in balance to nurture the body in the healthiest manner. Too much or too little hormonal secretion can unbalance proper growth and development and cause endocrine disorders with debilitating effects.
Disorders we treat
St. Joseph Mercy Oakland (SJMO) endocrinology team deals with treatment for disorders of:
- Pituitary gland-growth hormones.
- Antidiuretic hormones.
- Childbirth and milk producing hormones.
- Hypothalamus-hormones that stimulate or suppress pituitary gland activity.
- Pancreas-secretes insulin and glucagons, which affect the body's absorption of glucose, the body's greatest source of energy.
- Adrenal cortex-secretes hydrocortisone and affects metabolism, along with androgen hormone and aldosterone, which affects saline (salt) balance in the body as well as blood pressure.
- Thyroid gland-secretes thyroxin, triiodothyr0nine and calcitonin, which affect the metabolism and help control body heat and bone growth.
- Parathyroid glands-secrete a parathyroid hormone which affects calcium levels in blood.
- Gonads-these are the male and female reproductive glands, which secrete testosterone (testes) and estrogen and progesterone (ovaries) which affect the reproductive process as well as male and female body and growth traits.
SJMO has the specialists and the advanced equipment and testing programs necessary to discover and treat most endocrine imbalances, including kidney disorders, diabetes, hypertension, cholesterol disorders, menopause, osteoporosis and obesity in a qualified hospital environment. Your St. Joseph Mercy Oakland doctor can guide you to the proper course of treatment for any endocrine disorders. To learn more, call SJMO's physician referral line at 800-372-6094.