St. Joseph Mercy Oakland cancer care services offers the following:
- Dedicated Inpatient Unit.
- 30 large private rooms.
- 100 percent of the RN care managers are chemotherapy certified.
- 45 percent of the whole program nurses have achieved Oncology Certified Nurse credentials.
- Daily multidisciplinary rounds for each patient, which include nutrition, pharmacy and social work along with the nursing staff and physicians.
Outpatient infusion center
Provides care in gynecological oncology, pediatric hematology/oncology and general adult hematology and oncology.
- Large open room furnished with nine reclining chairs.
- Personal televisions, CD players, DVD players and privacy curtains are available.
- 100 percent of the staff are oncology certified (OCN) as well as chemotherapy certified.
- A strong emphasis on patient education and family involvement.
Radiation treatment center (MIRO)
- External high-energy-photon and electron-beam therapy.
- Low dose and high dose rate brachytherapy.
- Prostate seed implant.
- 3D conformal treatment planning and IMRT.
- Multileaf external beam.
- Fractionated frameless stereotactic radiosurgery.
- Whole body/total skin electron beam therapy.
- Planning system and real-time ultrasound verification system.
- Provides clinical trials in a community setting, eliminating the need to travel long distances to major cancer centers.
- Access to new approaches in cancer detection, prevention and treatment.
- Participation in symptom management and quality-of-life clinical trials.
- Access to National Cancer Institute sponsored clinical trials.
- All clinical trials are approved by an Institutional Review Board responsible for the protection of trial participants.
Breast health services
- State-of-the-art stereotactic core biopsy and diagnostic imaging.
- A dedicated mammography nurse supports patients throughout the diagnostic process.
- Weekly multidisciplinary tumor board discusses every newly diagnosed person.
- A dedicated nurse supports patients throughout the treatment process.
- Genetic counseling and testing.
- Very active breast cancer support group.
- Provider of the BCCCP (Title XV) program, which includes free mammograms and Pap smears.
- Patient lending library provides resources for women's health issues.
- Look Good Feel Better program.
Mercy supportive care
- Inpatient and outpatient pain management.
- Inpatient and outpatient palliative care.
- Relieve suffering of mind, body and spirit.
- Maintain dignity of every person touched by our care.
- Reduce pain scores consistently to 1-2 (pain scale 0-10).
- No One Dies Alone Program.
- Award winner from "Thanks for Giving" honoring volunteers.
- Spirit of Collaboration Award - Improving "End of Life" care.
Certified cancer registry
- Two certified tumor registrars.
- Maintains database of more than 12,000 cases to aid in monitoring cancer trends and treatment.
- Participates in the National Cancer Data Base.
- Participate in an American Cancer Society and American College of Surgeons collaboration, which provides the public with information that pertains to our hospital cancer statistics.
- Coordinates breast, general, gynecology, and lung multidisciplinary tumor boards as well as didactic lectures by local and nationally known speakers.