The following list contains the procedure you will be asked to follow before, during, and after your surgical procedure at SJMO.
- Before your surgery or procedure a SJMO, a registered nurse will contact you with specific preparatory instructions, such as dietary restrictions.
- The evening before your surgery or procedure, do not eat or drink after midnight (this includes water, coffee, juice, alcohol, chewing gum and mints.) This is very important for your safety. Your surgery or procedure may have to be cancelled if you have anything to eat or drink. Brush your teeth but do not swallow any water. The morning of the surgery or procedure take the medications that you have been instructed to take with a sip of water. Patients who are having a myelogram may have a light meal.
- Do not smoke or drink alcohol for 24 hours before your surgery or procedure.
- Please shower or bathe the evening before or the morning of your surgery.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothes.
- Leave all valuables including jewelry, watches, money and credit cards, at home. If you wear glasses, contact lenses or a hearing aid bring a case in which to put them.
- Please limit yourself to one family member or friend in our treatment area. Other guests may wait in the surgical waiting room. No children younger than 14, please.
- Cell phones may not be used in the hospital as they may disrupt the monitoring equipment.
- If you anticipate an overnight stay, please leave your luggage in your car. A room will be assigned and after your surgery or procedure a family member can bring it to your room.
There are no phones in the rooms dedicated to outpatient units. We ask that you limit your incoming calls to a minimum. We are happy to keep attending family members informed of your status.
Parking and Directions
- You may valet park at the main hospital entrance off Woodward Avenue or park in the Visitor Parking lot at the corner of Woodward Avenue and Bassett Street (enter the lot off Bassett Street which is south of the hospital). There is a shuttle to take patients and visitors to the hospital entrance.
- Enter the hospital through the lobby/visitor entrance and proceed to the "B" elevators.
- Take the "B" elevators to the second floor.
- Enter the Surgical Center registration area (adjacent to the elevators)
If you have any questions regarding your future stay or our surgical or procedural process, please call and speak with us at 248-858-6755. We look forward to caring for you.