Hearing disorders are common, and can be related to birth complications, infections, exposure to loud noise, medications, heredity, and the aging process. As the baby boomer population ages, the prevalence of adult hearing loss and balance disorders is expected to increase. Hearing loss in U.S. adolescents is also on the rise, due to noise exposure.
The SJMO Audiology Department provides state of the art hearing and balance services to inpatients and outpatients:
- Pediatric hearing evaluations
- Adult hearing evaluations
- Newborn hearing screens (SJMO Audiology is approved by the Michigan Department of Community Health’s Early Hearing Detection and Intervention unit as a newborn hearing re-screen site)
- Auditory Brainstem Response (ABR)
- Videonystagmography (VNG)/Electronystagmography (ENG)
- SJMO Audiology is located on the 4th floor of the main hospital (4 Pavilion)
- To schedule an appointment for testing, please call the Rehabilitation Services Department at 248-393-1175.